PLANET VIEW SCREEN
The Planet View screen provides a summary of current population,
population growth, industrial waste, factories, planetary defense
shields, and orbital fleets. Each icon on the planet is equal to
10 units of whatever the icon represents.
Planetary Environments: There are 14 environmental
types in Master of Orion. The type of planetary environment dictates
the size of the planet, which in turn determines how many colonists
the planet can support and how fast the population will grow. Hostile
environments (barren, tundra, dead, inferno, toxic, and radiated)
halve the normal population growth and require advanced technology
to colonize. Hostile environments are also the systems most likely
to have mineral rich resources that double or even triple ship,
defense, and factory production.
• Terran planets are earth-like and can
support the largest number of colonists.
• Jungle planets are young, undeveloped worlds
reminiscent of the Dinosaur Age on earth.
• Ocean planets have very few land masses
and are almost completely covered by water.
• Arid planets have only about one quarter
of their surface covered by water.
• Steppe planets have rugged terrains that
are difficult to clear for a colony.
• Desert planets have very scarce water supplies
and are plagued by violent dust storms.
• Minimal planets can barely support life
with an oxygen poor atmosphere and little water.
• Barren planets have no surface water supplies
and little to no atmosphere.
• Tundra planets are basically huge balls
of ice with sub-zero temperatures year round.
• Dead planets have no water supplies or
• Inferno planets are similar to Venus with
excruciatingly hot environments.