Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Moo3, Gog.com, Mods.
Slaintemaith
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 03:16 PM
Quote Post

Recruit

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,465

Do these three not play well together? I've tried the vanilla, tropical, and strawberry mods. All crash to the desktop without even getting to the main wrapper screen.

Any ideas?
PMEmail Poster
Kahuna
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 05:39 PM
Quote Post

Experienced

Group: Supermoderator
Member No.: 1,811

Hi,can you give us more information?Did you patch to the 1.25 version before you added mods?Did you run the verifier to make sure?Did it work at all without the mods?What OS system are you using?Have you tried running as admin?
Danib is an excellent modder for this game and has updated MOO3 files[mods] in his signature and he also drops by here from time to time and has always given great help or advice so don't give up yet smile.gif
I have heard that the DL versions[non cd] are not compatible with certain mods but they are work arounds.Please be patient so one of the posters who like to disect this game in detail can help you. I'm just the janitor here and my job is to hunt adbots and malware postings but I do enjoy the game and play it often[Tropical] but I bought it way back when there were CD 's for it. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
Slaintemaith
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 08:40 PM
Quote Post

Recruit

Sure!
Patching to 1.25 is not necessary, as gog.com packages the latest versions of all the software. It appears as if they -do- eliminate the need for the CD. So the executable is probably not the same.

There was no verifier included in the mod package.

It works fine without the mods.

I'm using Winders 7 64 bit enterprise.

I tried the mods as admin and not as admin.

I've not even begun to give up hope. I used to work for MicroProse back in the day--although I was there in the years intervening the MOO series. I'd love to see what people have done to the game!

Thanks for your time,
Slainte
PMEmail Poster
danib
Posted: May 1 2012, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

Experienced

Member No.: 2,086

did you use the files from moo3.at?
if yes that explains it smile.gif
thay dont work (if you apply a bhuric patch after a gerah patch thers a good probability the exe wont work)
use one of the versions in my moo3 files

tropical 1.22 - a balaced whit some bug fixes 1.2 tropicat version
teopical 1.3.10+1.3.11 - a new version of tropical (by colt) that i did some bug fixing and balancing

chocolate 0.999 bu pedxing

1.6 vanilla fixed by evlavsom

--------------------
I have a spelling chequer, It came with my pea sea,
It plainly marques four my revue Miss steaks eye cannot sea.
the rest can be seen in the link of your chose

my moo3 files http://www.mediafire.com/danielboro. latest tropical 1.3.10 , full 1.3.10, update 1.3.7 to 1.3.10 ver2 new:part of 1.3.11 update
PMEmail PosterICQYahooMSN
Slaintemaith
Posted: May 2 2012, 04:22 PM
Quote Post

Recruit

Thanks! I'll give that a go!
PMEmail Poster
Bansheedragon
Posted: May 29 2012, 08:40 PM
Quote Post

Recruit

Member No.: 2,468

I have been struggling with the mods for this game myself for several days now.
Although I bought my game from Gamersgate and not GOG, it should still be the same.
This is a rather long read, so please bear with me.

I can launch the game fine, and I can choose race and setup the galaxy.
Problem is that once I click the button to start playing I get a black screen with some form of Directx error and then the usual Windows crap about the game not responding forcing me to shut it down.

I also found out how I could modify some of the game files, more specifically the .txt files contained in the Spreadsheet.mod file.
After doing that I encountered the same directx error problem I mentioned above.
Even if all I did was remove a single number and then typing that same number back in again in the very same place I removed it from.

The impression I am left with is that the only way I can play this game is the vanilla version, thats a fresh install with no mods or alterations to the game code whatsoever.
Any and all attempts at modifying the game, or editing the game files causes this directx error.

This really infuriates me as it seems that even in easy mode its impossible to keep up with the AI in any area and I usually end up lagging so far behind I give up the game long before it would otherwise have ended.

Its like the AI has a massive advantage in any and all areas (research, manufacturing, colonization, etc).

The few times I have tried to compete with the AI, I either end up losing to the Orion senate elections or I get steamrolled by the AI.
Sometimes they declare war, other times they just attack regardless and start bombarding my colonies to oblivion.
Not only do I not have the resources to defend all my colonies, but I got the distinct impression that the AI can move to any of my colonies, passing several of them on the way, without being detected before they attack.

On a few rare occasions I have been fortunate enough to actually keep ahead of the AI, barely.
When that happens I start losing standing with all AI races regardless of what I do, even if I have treaties with them, and they start attacking my colonies early on in the game when I have yet to build up my defenses.
The AI do not even declare war, they just attack and bombard my colonies and I have no way to defend myself.

So I'm left with playing the game and maybe wining the game by finding the Antaran X's or losing the game to attacking AI races or to the senate vote.
So far I have yet to finish a single game, as I get so frustrated in the end I start over hoping the next game will be better.

I wanted to attach my DxDiag file here, but other than posting it directly here, which I think would be a waste of space, I dont see a way to do it

This post has been edited by Bansheedragon on May 29 2012, 08:41 PM
PMEmail Poster
Dymoon
Posted: May 29 2012, 10:09 PM
Quote Post

Trained

Member No.: 2,376

You know the ai really does have an advantage at higher difficulties at manufacture, research, pop growth etc; you can see them in govern modifiers spreadsheet, and there's no difference in ai behavior at whatever difficulty expect those coming due to imperial bigger muscles.

But yeah you're right the ai will always attack you if they pass over your undefended colonies if you don't have at least a non-aggression pact.

I think you could try designing smaller ships that are cheaper to your planets production capabilities and try expanding with outpost at the beginning of the game.

I don't know about your modding problems. I guess you could try a torrent version, and a cracked exe. They might work better than the bought ones...

This post has been edited by Dymoon on May 29 2012, 10:13 PM
PMEmail Poster
Bansheedragon
Posted: May 29 2012, 11:30 PM
Quote Post

Recruit

The AI dont always attack undefended planets even if I dont have a non aggression pact.

I get the part about the AI having an advantage at higher difficulties, but as I said, I cant even keep up with them on easy mode, the lowest difficulty setting.

And the few times that I do get in the lead, all AI players will attack me regardless of treaties.
And when they do they do it very early in the game, somewhere between round 50-100 when I dont have the resources to defend all my colonies, yet the AI players seem to have the ships and resources be able to attack multiple of my colonies at once.

And unless I actually colonize planets, if I were to use outposts instead, I will not have the resources to manufacture or research to be able to keep up with the AI.

I tried a cracked exe, but it gave the same result, still got the directx error
As for trying a torrent version, I dont see how that could be any different.
What would be the difference between a purchased and torrent version of the game?
Is not a torrent version essentially the same as a purchased version?

I did however find something that worked, from the tropical mods by "danib", links in his signature.
I copied a folder from that mod named "GameDataSets" into the main folder and replaced the original.
This changed the UI and look of the game as well as adding a number of new options for race customization, and I did not get the driectx error when running the game.

I would be quite happy with that alone except for two things I would like to change.

1. All the main UI buttons has been placed on the right side of the scree instead of at the bottom, I prefer to have those at the bottom, so if there is a way to move them back to the bottom I would very much like that done.

2. I dont mind a few extra racial choices, but now there are too many.
And most of them feel like micromanagement of the racial abilities.

I am no longer able to run the MOO3 Patcher either, when I try to run it I get an error saying its missing a file named MFC71.DLL

This post has been edited by Bansheedragon on May 30 2012, 12:26 AM
PMEmail Poster
Dymoon
Posted: May 30 2012, 07:11 PM
Quote Post

Trained

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?mfc71 maybe with this it will work..

If danib's mod works for you it means you just make some mistakes when writing in a spreadsheet text.

The dataset wasn't exactly overwritten. It just got some new folders with texts and graphics, so if you delete racemodifiers from Master of Orion 3\GameDataSets\Classic_01\GameData\Common\Spreadsheets and wsRaceDesc.txt from GameDataSets\Classic_01\GameData\English\wStrings the picks will return to default.

And for the return to vanilla look delete these folders GameDataSets\Classic_01\GameData\Common\DATATAGS and GameDataSets\Classic_01\GameAssets\Common\Graphics\UI. You could try replacing them with Gofur's ui. His UI is way better looking then the original and it keeps the buttons at the bottom the way you want.

This post has been edited by Dymoon on May 30 2012, 07:41 PM
PMEmail Poster
Bansheedragon
Posted: May 30 2012, 11:01 PM
Quote Post

Recruit

First off, thanks for the help.
I ran the DLL fix you linked, so will try and see if it works now and update on my progress there.
I'm gonna try and get things up and running the way I want it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres how things are for me with Danibs mod.

I downloaded the 3.10 tropico mod.
I then extracted the file to a separate folder.
After that I copied the filed into the main MOO3 folder.

Once that was done things started going a little sideways.

I could launch the game, and I could see allot of changes to the game.
Most of them I liked except for the two mentioned.

Now when I used the MOO3 patcher that came with the mod, I got the MFC71.dll error.
So what I did was I tried a MOO3 patcher that came with the 2.1 tropico mod that I had previously downloaded.

And this is the part that confused me.
That patcher worked fine, and the game launched fine, but when trying to start a new game or load an old one I got the directx error

Simply put with the MOO3 patcher.
The 3.10 tropico mod patcher game me the DLL error.
The 2.1 tropico mod patcher gave me the directx error ingame.
So regardless of which one I used it did not work.

As for modifying game files.
It dont matter what I do in any of the original spreadhseet files.
I can view the file, but just removing a single digit and then typing it back in again in the same place and then saving the file was enough
Any alteration whatsoever of the original game files caused me to get the driectx error.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I have a few new questions.

1. Before I go ahead and delete the UI stuff.
I liked the new UI skin, but not the layout, if I delete the UI folder you talk about, will that delete both the layout and the skin, or just the layout.
If possible I would like to keep the new skin, but have the vanilla layout.
You also mention another UI you say is good, where can I download that?

2. I downloaded a "Max race picks mod" that gives me 550 point to use for when customizing my race.
I encountered a bit of a problem when using it, it seems that the game autosave has been disabled.
The game no longer autosaves for each turn like it normally does, and I usually get so engrossed in the game that I forget to save myself.
Is there some way to fix this so the autosave works again?

This post has been edited by Bansheedragon on May 30 2012, 11:09 PM
PMEmail Poster
Dymoon
  Posted: May 31 2012, 03:59 AM
Quote Post

Trained

No problem, just want to keep the board alive or as close to it.

It dont matter what I do in any of the original spreadshseet files.
by original you mean in the .mob files? Those mustn't be modified and must remain as in the 1.2.5 patch. The modifications must be made only in the copied texts in sub-folders with the same name as the .mob.

Directx error means that somewhere something is written wrong that's all i can tell you.

So if you didn't modify those I guess you could delete all the files expect the .mob files and copy one of the mods again.This is cause there might be some leftovers from other mods and they might interfere with each other.

Or my method when i mod my game and have the same problem. I have portions of the spreadsheets texts moved out and in from the datasets and I start games to check if it errors so i could identify which one has the badly written text.

I can't say for sure if the 550 mod is at fault for the savegame error unless you start only with it and no other mod. I remember i read somewhere the game also errors or does something wrong if there are too many save games so check this.
-It's not from it i tried it and savegame works fine with it.-

About the patcher i don't know what to say, they should the same the one from the 3.1 and 2.1. I guess i use the same argument as you for my torrents blink.gif. But if you choose one go for the 2.1 cause directx error might be from a mistype in a spreadsheet.

Gofur's UI is pretty much the skin expect the original layout and it's here first the first and second mod http://www.moo3.at/mods/ rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Dymoon on May 31 2012, 04:51 AM
PMEmail Poster
Bansheedragon
Posted: May 31 2012, 06:25 PM
Quote Post

Recruit

What if I took a copy of the Spreadsheet.mob file and then placed that copy in a subfolder of the folder where the file is originally located.
Would I be able to modify the new copy in the subfolder without affecting the game or would that afect the game and give me the error as well?

I also managed to solve the problem with the autosave not working.
It was not enough to just delete old savegames.
I had to completely uninstall the game, delete the "GameDataSets" folder and then reinstall the game.
The autosave issue must have been related to something else, as I copied the max race pick mod into the relevant game folder again and the autosave are still working as it should

I figured you might find this information useful for future reference.

This post has been edited by Bansheedragon on May 31 2012, 06:26 PM
PMEmail Poster
danib
Posted: May 31 2012, 07:53 PM
Quote Post

Experienced

the mob files are renamed ZIP files
the best way to mode the files in them is to unzip the mob file (live the original mob file in place) mard the unziped file as read/write and mod them

the grafic chuing in tropical .3 and muubaa (cocolad) are from the 1024 screen size mode (1024x768 MOD II: Battle At Aruspex)
if can remove it but its not easy
DL the mod and delete every file that is in common to it and the mode you are using

i recommend editing whit exel/libreoffice calc/ notepad++

--------------------

my moo3 files http://www.mediafire.com/danielboro. latest tropical 1.3.10 , full 1.3.10, update 1.3.7 to 1.3.10 ver2 new:part of 1.3.11 update
Bansheedragon
Posted: Jun 1 2012, 08:11 PM
Quote Post

Recruit

Final update on this.

I added Gofurs UI and it looks just the way I wanted it

I also added the strawberry Mod, and everything seems to be running fine so far.
No errors or other problems.

The best part of it is the new look of the stars, nebulas and black holes.
It actually looks like a decent starmap now instead of the blobs that looked like a child had made the starmap

There is one thing I would like to point out that I feel is important.
The mod I installed came with an MOO3.exe file.

After overwriting the Original MOO3.exe with the one from the mod, I was suddenly asked to insert a cd to play the game.
I fixed it by reinstalling the game, and then adding the mods again this time not overwriting the MOO3.exe, and everything worked fine.

So its worth noting that the MOO3.exe file that comes with these requires a CD to play.
It is my honest opinion that there really is no point in having that file there as the mods works fine regardless and some people might get confused by it and thinking there is a bug in the mod or something.

Last I just wanna say thanks for the help, its made an otherwise medicore game playable and enjoyable.

This post has been edited by Bansheedragon on Jun 1 2012, 11:54 PM
PMEmail Poster
danib
Posted: Jun 2 2012, 08:51 PM
Quote Post

Experienced

not overwriting the MOO3.exe
did you applay the p[atches to the moo3.exe?
if yes then no problem
if no then you still have all the killer bugs in the game

try pedxing`s MUUBAA (chocolate ) UOP (i have it in my MOO3 files)
i think it will be more inline to you play stayl

p.s
you can use MUUBAA`s moo3.exe for all UOP`s

This post has been edited by danib on Jun 2 2012, 08:57 PM

--------------------

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Support Forum | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll