Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Too big hard drive, My hard drive is too big to patch moo3
CriusMac
Posted: Jun 15 2015, 02:11 AM
Quote Post

Recruit

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,651

When I tried to install MOO3 from my CD, it stated I needed about 2 terabytes more space to install Moo3, but I was able to click ignore, and proceed to install. Unfortunately the 1.25 patch says :

Not enough hard drive space

There is not enough space on this hard drive to install the patch

But, I have over 2 terabytes still free on this hard drive, and I do not have the option to ignore this error. I also do not have a smaller hard drive. How can I install this patch?
PMEmail Poster
Klade
Posted: Jun 18 2015, 07:47 AM
Quote Post

Recruit

Member No.: 2,605

2 TERABYTES?! Are you sure about those figures? The game doesn't even take up 1 GB of space.
PMEmail Poster
CriusMac
Posted: Jun 19 2015, 05:47 AM
Quote Post

Recruit

I did not feel the exact number was important, so I did not state it.

The error message clearly states:

Install

This software requires an additional 2032772344 K bytes free on the C: drive to install. Please remove any unnecessary files and try again.

So, that becomes: 2,032,772,344K which is about 2,032,772 Megs, or 2,032 Gigs... Yup, it really wants over 2 Terabytes more space to install.

Added to my free hard drive space means the game is planning to use all of my existing free space of well over 2 terabytes, plus an additional 2 terabytes... So the game actually is asking for over 4 terabytes of space. I personally suspect I caused an overflow of its free space calculator.

The question is still, how do I get around it? I can ignore the error during install, but not during the patch.
PMEmail Poster
Anguille
Posted: Jun 19 2015, 03:05 PM
Quote Post

Trained

Member No.: 1,040

Maybe you should try the compatibily mode when reading the cd or the patch exe.

The easiest way would be to buy the game from GOG as it doesn't have any compatibily issues afaik.

This post has been edited by Anguille on Jun 19 2015, 03:05 PM
PMEmail Poster
CriusMac
Posted: Jun 19 2015, 11:13 PM
Quote Post

Recruit

I did try the compatibility programs, but it did not work because there was no option to make the hard drive look smaller.

This program, as written, will not work in any previous versions of windows, because each previous version of windows has the same hard drive.

While it may indeed be easier to buy the game again and *hope* it does not have the same problem, it likely does since the game is the same - IE there isn't a patch to fix this problem yet. Also, every single thing I've bought online I lost ownership of when I lost my email. I've bought many programs online, like Getright, but poof! I really hate buying stuff without a hard copy, which I have with Moo3 - thank goodness!

Besides, I pre-ordered this game years ago, and could never once play it because it crashed every turn or two. This was *with* the current newest patch, but not with any fan patches. I don't even know if I will like the game!

Mmm, it is one of those games I want to play, but never succeeded at. Buying it a second time is just not worth it.

I'm guessing if I just start copying my windows directory across my hard drive a few hundred times, it might fix the problem, but I was hoping for a better idea, or at least confirmation that having 200 windows directories on my machine *will* fix the problem.

This post has been edited by CriusMac on Jun 19 2015, 11:53 PM
PMEmail Poster
Klade
Posted: Jun 20 2015, 04:40 PM
Quote Post

Recruit

Member No.: 2,605

An unforeseen limitation of the program perhaps? Best bet would be to get another copy of Moo3.
PMEmail Poster
Anguille
Posted: Jun 20 2015, 05:26 PM
Quote Post

Trained

I think i had this with another older programm. It could also because of the copy protection of the cd-rom. I haven't used the disks since i bought it online. Btw, the GOG games can be downloaded, you can keep them on your harddrive.
PMEmail Poster
CriusMac
Posted: Jun 20 2015, 07:25 PM
Quote Post

Recruit

If I could get the game free because I already bought it, then it will be acceptable to download it again. I am not interested in buying the game again on the chance it will work this time. While I have bought some games and programs more than once, this is not going to be one of the programs I will do that with.

On the other hand, I really think it is because my hard drive is too big. This won't be fixed by downloading the game again. This won't be fixed with compatibility settings. I doubt it is copy protection because the error message does not say copy protection. It says Hard Drive Space.
PMEmail Poster
CriusMac
Posted: Jun 26 2015, 02:43 AM
Quote Post

Recruit

My landlord's friend suggested a ram drive. I tried it, and it worked. The game freezes my entire computer about every 20 turns, or 30 minutes. Not even my OS can recover from the freeze, and I have to unplug my computer because the power button doesn't work. I am glad I did not buy this game again, it would not have been worth it.
PMEmail Poster
Anguille
Posted: Jun 26 2015, 07:33 PM
Quote Post

Trained

QUOTE (CriusMac @ Jun 26 2015, 02:43 AM)
My landlord's friend suggested a ram drive. I tried it, and it worked. The game freezes my entire computer about every 20 turns, or 30 minutes. Not even my OS can recover from the freeze, and I have to unplug my computer because the power button doesn't work. I am glad I did not buy this game again, it would not have been worth it.

Never heard of such problems but again, i strongly suspect that you wouldn't have these problems with the GOG edition. Imho, it's related to the cd-rom version, including the copy protection.
PMEmail Poster
CriusMac
Posted: Jun 26 2015, 08:03 PM
Quote Post

Recruit

Does the GOG version come with a newer patch?
PMEmail Poster
Anguille
Posted: Jun 27 2015, 07:55 PM
Quote Post

Trained

QUOTE (CriusMac @ Jun 26 2015, 08:03 PM)
Does the GOG version come with a newer patch?

it's the 1.2.5 version. It's basically the same edition but tested for newer versions of windows and without the copy protection. I've had a lot of problems with old copy protection on newer windows system.
PMEmail Poster
CriusMac
Posted: Jun 27 2015, 11:43 PM
Quote Post

Recruit

When I applied the fan patch Vanilla, it got rid of the copy protection, and the crashes every turn or two. So, it shouldn't be the copy protection. I tested this Master of Orion 3 version in a newer version of windows, and it seems to have no immediate problems, just a crash that takes a long time to happen that I can't repeat reliably. I am unwilling to pay a second time for a game that is identical to what I already have, especially since I bought it preorder direct from this web site, so the company got all the money from it, and it was fairly expensive.

You have been pushing for me to buy this game again quite a bit, do you happen to work for GOG? There seem to be less expensive and easier solutions. It is better to test the free solutions than going for solutions costing money that are very unlikely to solve the problem in my opinion (Same version number, no hard copy, no apparent other changes).
PMEmail Poster
Anguille
Posted: Jun 29 2015, 10:00 PM
Quote Post

Trained

QUOTE (CriusMac @ Jun 27 2015, 11:43 PM)
When I applied the fan patch Vanilla, it got rid of the copy protection, and the crashes every turn or two. So, it shouldn't be the copy protection. I tested this Master of Orion 3 version in a newer version of windows, and it seems to have no immediate problems, just a crash that takes a long time to happen that I can't repeat reliably. I am unwilling to pay a second time for a game that is identical to what I already have, especially since I bought it preorder direct from this web site, so the company got all the money from it, and it was fairly expensive.

You have been pushing for me to buy this game again quite a bit, do you happen to work for GOG? There seem to be less expensive and easier solutions. It is better to test the free solutions than going for solutions costing money that are very unlikely to solve the problem in my opinion (Same version number, no hard copy, no apparent other changes).

Lol, no. I am not working for GOG. I have two physical copies of the game but haven't touched them since i bought the gog edition. Just wanted to help you....good luck. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster
CriusMac
Posted: Jan 3 2016, 11:52 AM
Quote Post

Recruit

I did eventually find out what was causing the freezes-

I had turbo core activated on my AMD processor, which caused freezes mainly when playing games. Any games. After I turned Turbo Core off, the computer stopped freezing completely for all games.

I am trying to get AMD to replace my possibly defective CPU, but they are resistant. They are certain it's a driver problem, and not be the CPU.
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Support Forum | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll